Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hosanna

Last Friday I got my first tattoo!

Originally, I was going to get hosanna written across my wrist from left to right, but because I have the small wrists of an infant I decided to get it long ways. Make sense? Like from up to down.

I've been wanting a tattoo for a l-o-n-g time, but I could never think of anything that I'd be ok if it was on my body for the rest of my life. Recently there have been some pretty sad things happen in my family and I really began listening to a lot more music and just trying to sort it all out or fix it in my head.
I was listening to the Hillsong song, "Hosanna" and I began to do some research on the word. Long story short the word hosanna used to mean and still does mean "a cry to God for deliverance/help" in the past however-many-years-or-so the new meaning has become, "to give praise or adoration to God". As soon as I read the meaning I knew that's the word I wanted. I just knew. I got the tattoo on my wrist because since I'm the type of person that wants to fix anything that's wrong with a person or circumstance, and since you generally associate fixing things with your hands, I figured the wrist is the perfect spot. Does all of that still make sense? Good.

I know people generally have a lot of apprehensions about tattoos, but I grew up around them and I look at them as art or a form of self expression so they're cool in my book. No, I don't think it's a sin to have a tattoo. That's just ridiculous. I wouldn't go overboard like the cat lady or anything. ;)

My mom, sister, & Jared were with me when I got my tattoo. We had to go to three different places because the first two had insane wait times. My mom and sister kept asking me over and over again to make sure that this is what I wanted and they were telling me how to give the tattoo artist an exact direction on what I wanted. (My mom once went to get an iris and came out with a marijuana leaf. And Linds went to get a brown star on her ribs and came out with a black hindu star. Both true stories.)

Once the tattoo guy, Wil,  started on my wrist some of my hair started to fall out. Seriously, I had about 1/4-2/4 of a handful of hair that just came right out. That's nerves for ya! The tattoo didn't hurt that bad, but it did hurt. As soon as Wil was done it stopped hurting.

You can't see it well, but it's all I've got! :)

I don't regret my decision in the slightest and I'm really happy that I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels