Monday, April 26, 2010

Letter to me

Lately I've been reminiscing about my 4 years in high school. I even watched my high school graduation just to see what I was like then.

I started thinking about if I could have written myself a letter. A letter from 21 year old me to 17 year old me. I would have told myself so many things that I wish people would have told me or things I wish that I had listened to. I think the letter would look something like this: 


You are going to make mistakes and some of them will be devastating, but some of them will be the best mistakes you ever made. That guy that you think you "love" well, you don't love him. You're 17, you haven't even experienced true-heart stopping-over-the-moon-and-back-give-your-lif-type-of-love, but you will someday. You & Lindsey will eventually stop fighting as much. Your mom is actually right on a lot more things than you are & she truly does love you more than life itself. You will go to "school" North Carolina looking for something, but you'll find that what you're looking for is not there. What you're looking for is inside of you. Invest your time in what really matters. Read your Bible outside of daily homework and truly try to apply those principles to your life. The man who you dream of marrying really does exist. He's everything you ever could have dreamt of and more (& yes, he does love your choice of baby names). When the hard times come, and they will, remember that your foundation is not someone or something, but that your foundation is set on the rock who is Jesus Christ. You will truly grow to love food... seriously, you love it. Isaiah 41:10 will always make you tear up. You do finally discover your favorite color. Your mother-in-law will become one of your best friends. MySpace & Xanga aren't cool anymore and you will regret opening those accounts because you forget the password and you cannot delete anything written so they're stuck floating in cyberspace. Spring time is still a difficult time for you. Even though some of the friendships you have now won't always be as strong as they once were don't let that stop you from loving with your whole heart. I promise, you don't regret it now.  

Maybe that's something what the letter would look like... If only, if only...





3 comments:

  1. Ugh, this made me cry a couple of tears- I've been thinking about this a lot lately too. Except, I am trying sooo hard to talk to young teenagers about these feelings. I want them to know. It's just so sad sometimes because I know many of them just don't believe or understand what I'm saying. I just pray that maybe someone, anyone will listen. I think the fact that we're still "young" gives us more of an influence over these guys and girls. Isn't is funny how we did the same thing when adults told us about their lives when we were younger. Wow. It's the cycle of life, I guess. Keep loving Jesus, we'll make it through- and with style. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry my English was so cruddy, it's late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. And younger self...keep on giving MontyG a hard time about having twins...you will be wrong. And hey, your (favorite) teachers will one day turn around and be your friends. And you can call them by their first name. :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels